About Me

My photo
I came to the US, to make high-nutrient, disease-immune and easy to grow genetically engineered potato. Initially, I was concentrating on the science side, but eventually started to realize, that it is not only science that needs to be changed but also the 'system' where scientific innovation resides. After completing a doctoral degree in bioengineering and innovation management, I have ventured to study international management and international politics, as a means to study science policy. My eventual goal is to apply the science policy in developing nations, but I am now focusing to apply in Japan, where the country is in deep trouble, not being able to align the country with rapidly spreading globalization.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Improvisation and Innovation(2)

Dinner with AJ.

This Innovation and Improvisation idea is really getting bigger and bigger in my head.
I really want to publish what I have in my head right now.
I think Japanese people  are probably good at improvising...and I think it's in their blood.
(I'm just trying to come up with different ideas...)

Take a look at Japanese cuisine, in traditional Japanese restaurants, it is possible for you to tell the chef and ask them to put together 'something' (Tekitou ni mitsukurou). But the concept is not widely available anywhere in the world. This 'something' is completely out of the chef's discretion. It is in the realm of
improvisation by the chefs. The chefs are not following things that's on the menu...they have to think what the customer would want (look for the need) from what they have available at the kitchen. ...That's an active cooking...rather than 'passive cooking'

I guess I do want to open up a restaurant after I retire...a restaurant without menu.
Just talk to the customers and immediately know their needs...that's an ultimate form of cooking...



No comments: