About Me

My photo
I came to the US, to make high-nutrient, disease-immune and easy to grow genetically engineered potato. Initially, I was concentrating on the science side, but eventually started to realize, that it is not only science that needs to be changed but also the 'system' where scientific innovation resides. After completing a doctoral degree in bioengineering and innovation management, I have ventured to study international management and international politics, as a means to study science policy. My eventual goal is to apply the science policy in developing nations, but I am now focusing to apply in Japan, where the country is in deep trouble, not being able to align the country with rapidly spreading globalization.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Self-discipline and Innovation

Self-Discipline and Innovation.

In order for innovation to flow from your head naturally, it is important that the process becomes a routine, as I mentioned before. In order to have the routine, one must be totally self-disciplined.

I feel like I spent my day today...wasted.

One way to think...if you really feel that you are wasting your time...EXTRAPOLATE.
extrapolate the way you live your day, or that hour or that second, when you feel like you are being lazy, unproductive, etc, extrapolate it to what sort of person you will be if you were to continue doing it.

In other words, you should be able to BACK-CALCULATE from where you WANT TO BE, and find out WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING NOW, in order to achieve that goal.

That's self-discipline, the ability to look long-term and short term.

And you need self-discipline when you innovate.



No comments: