About Me

My photo
I came to the US, to make high-nutrient, disease-immune and easy to grow genetically engineered potato. Initially, I was concentrating on the science side, but eventually started to realize, that it is not only science that needs to be changed but also the 'system' where scientific innovation resides. After completing a doctoral degree in bioengineering and innovation management, I have ventured to study international management and international politics, as a means to study science policy. My eventual goal is to apply the science policy in developing nations, but I am now focusing to apply in Japan, where the country is in deep trouble, not being able to align the country with rapidly spreading globalization.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Defeat and Innovation

Met up with Mr.Hibara from Ritsumeikan yesterday day with the entrepreneur group yesterday.
An interesting person, looks very intellectual with his designer's rectangular glasses, but he cracked some jokes and he laughed a lot. As another Japanese who has graduated from US graduate institution, it was very good for me to catch up with him to his view and learn about his footsteps.  He quit working at a commercial bank after 7years and went on to do a PhD in the US, and then taught in Canada for 4 years, and now he has taught at Ritsumeikan for 4 years and he will be moving to Waseda in September. Sounds like a good career path. 

What was interesting was the email communication I had with him afterwards. He repetitively mentioned during dinner that I will not have to 'hurry'. I took that to mean that I will not have to hurry as long as there is internal imminence attached with it. However, what he meant was that I should not be discouraged by any downs/failures that I will face in the future (for instance, now, as I cannot find my job!)...and don't get too bogged down and keep on fighting to go forward. Failure in the micro-level (or even macro-level) will help one succeed in future.  

How important is it to fail in order to succeed in innovation? 
Or is the perspective of 'failure' already a pessimistic sentiment that hinders great innovation?
Kazuhiko Tomita's "Zasetsuryoku", mentions the importance to fail...to be immune to short-term setbacks...I think that's probably what Mr.Hibara was getting at as well. 

No comments: