About Me

My photo
I came to the US, to make high-nutrient, disease-immune and easy to grow genetically engineered potato. Initially, I was concentrating on the science side, but eventually started to realize, that it is not only science that needs to be changed but also the 'system' where scientific innovation resides. After completing a doctoral degree in bioengineering and innovation management, I have ventured to study international management and international politics, as a means to study science policy. My eventual goal is to apply the science policy in developing nations, but I am now focusing to apply in Japan, where the country is in deep trouble, not being able to align the country with rapidly spreading globalization.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cooking and Innovation (I)

These two fields are so intricately related that I have set the section title to be ~~~(I), because I am sure I will be drawing a lot of examples in the future about the two fields, and the similarities that lays beneath them.

For the first entry, I want to draw the attention to the book I read long time ago, called "The Pyramid (Four-sided body) of Cooking" by 玉村豊男.
それは4つの要素から構成されている(それゆえに四面体になる)。空気、水、油の3つが底面をなし、この三角形から焼きものライン、煮ものライン、揚げものラインという3本線が発し、頂点である火につながっている。つまり底面は火を加えない生ものの世界であり、そこに火を加えるに当たって3通りの方法が提示されていることになる。たとえば刺身なら空気、マリネなら油の隅に位置する。刺身を炭焼きにすれば焼きものラインを上に向かい、マリネをフライにすれば揚げものラインを上っていくことになる。


There are infinite number of combinations that one can make a dish, by changing the ingredients and methods of cooking. But only a few works, to have edible and delicious outcome. Everyday, you can find new recipes being presented on the internet, printed media, restaurants etc.. Some recipes are considered to be more unique than the other, and are more popular compared to the others. Some are thought to be traditional, some are considered to be radically innovative. The field of  molecular gastronomy is a field that I am extremely fascinated in and itself is a very interdisciplinary field that involves chemistry, physics, psychology, physiology, etc. Just as how there are infinite number of different style of 'technology' in the world and some are more readily used compared to the others, and some are considered to be more more innovative than the other...and the underlying principles are in physical concepts of basic science.


The other day, I saw chocolate with bacon bits inside...haven't tasted before...but that's definitely a culinary innovation!

No comments: